As a volunteer tutor, you can have a big impact on the young people you support.
Our tutors do more than simply help students work through an equation, they also act as positive role models and raise students’ aspirations.
As a maths tutor, you will:
Deliver maths lessons to young people in weekly sessions. HRSG will provide resources, enabling you to focus on delivery.
Working either one-to-one or with small groups of students to help improve their academic ability, develop their confidence in maths and to help them work on their study skills.
At all times, acting as a positive role model for students.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Subject Knowledge: you need to be passionate and knowledgeable about Maths and feel confident tutoring at GCSE level.
- Communication: you will be creative, enthusiastic and clear in their communication.
- Commitment: to attending every session and arriving on time, fully prepared for the session. You need to be willing to commit to one session a week (usually 1-1.5 hours) for 6 months.
- Tenacity: You will be , patient and ready to use your initiative. Some experience of working with young people is beneficial but not essential.
- Empathy: You need to be relatable to young people with the ability to build strong relationships. The more at ease you are with one another the more you will both get out of the programme.
We will pay travel expenses per tutoring session attended.
All volunteers must be willing to undergo an enhanced DBS check
We have volunteer tutors aged 18-92 years, from all different backgrounds, including students, working professionals and retired individuals.
Teamwork, interpersonal, organisational, leadership, listening, mentoring.